Hydrogen Peroxide is an amazing product that a lot of people might not know all of the things it can do. One of the greatest things about it, is that it is crazy inexpensive. It is only about $1 or even less a bottle and it can help get you into a more “green” home because a lot of the ways to use this can replace the chemicals that you may not want your family around.
1. An inexpensive and proven teeth whitener is one little capful of hydrogen peroxide. Hold in your mouth for 10 seconds daily and spit out. It can save you a ton on expensive teeth whiteners. It is their main ingredient anyway. (If you read the small print, it says to use as mouth wash.)
2. Use to disinfect your wooden cutting board. Pour peroxide on and rinse to kill salmonella and other bacteria.
3. Soak your toothbrushes in a cup of peroxide to kill germs.
4. Fill a spray bottle with 50/50 mixture of peroxide and water to clean and disinfect your bathrooms without harming your septic system like bleach or other cleaners will.
5. Soak your cuts or any infections in peroxide for 5 – 10 minutes several times a day. Gangrene has been proven to heal with this. I do this all the time. I will then wash it off like the nurses below recommend and then put on Neosporin with a band-aid. It heals so quickly. Try this with an infected cuticle. It will feel better by morning.
6. Clean your mirrors with no smears or smudges!
7. Add one cup of peroxide instead of bleach to a load of whites in your laundry to whiten them. Remove stains, including blood. Pour directly on the spoiled spot and let it sit for a minute and rub. Rinse with cold water. Repeat if necessary.
8. To rid skin infections, or fungus, pour a half a bottle of peroxide in your bath.
9. To keep chemicals out of your home, but keep your home clean and smelling fresh, simply pour a little peroxide on your dishrag or sponge when you wipe, or spray with 50/50 mixture.
10. Get rid of a canker sore in your mouth by swishing peroxide in your mouth.
11. Get rid of fungus, or athletes foot by spraying 50/50 mixture (especially the toes) every night and let dry.
12. If you have a cold or plugged sinuses peroxide will kill the bacteria. Tilt your head back and spray into nostrils with 50/50 mixture. It will bubble up, hold for a few minutes then blow your nose into a tissue.
13. To kill a terrible toothache, and you can’t get to a dentist right away, put a capful of peroxide into your mouth and hold for 10 seconds several times a day.
14. Use as a vegetable wash or soak to kill bacteria and remove pesticides.
15. Disinfect your refrigerator and dishwasher with 50/50 mix.
16.Detoxing bath – 2 quarts of 3% hydrogen peroxide to a tub of warm water. Soak at least 1/2 hour, adding hot water as needed to maintain a comfortable water temperature.
17. After rinsing off your wooden cutting board, pour or spray hydrogen peroxide (and then vinegar) on it to kill salmonella and other bacteria.
18. To clear the air, use 1 pint 3% hydrogen peroxide to 1 gallon of water in a humidifier or steamer.
Green Oxi Clean Recipe
And finally, Oxi Clean is made up mostly of Hydrogen Peroxide. Here is a recipe to make your own at home. It will help your home be Green, you don’t have to worry about breathing in chemicals, and it is also a lot less expensive.
- 1 bottle of hydrogen peroxide
- 2 Tbs of baking soda
- 1 Tbs laundry soap (liquid or powder)
- 4 Tbs white vinegar (optional) helps for removing smells
Pour into a spray bottle.
Spray on stains – even old ones, let it sit for a minute and use a towel to pat dry. They hydrogen peroxide bubbles and brings the stains to the surface. When dry, vacuum thoroughly.
If you are interested in using an Oxi Clean recipe for laundry the recipe is a little different.
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup hydrogen peroxide
- 1/2 cup WASHING soda
Baking soda will work, but it is not as effective. Washing soda has a pH of 11 (with 7 being neutral), while Baking soda has a pH of around 8.1. So this is great for clothes, but I wouldn’t wash you cloth diapers in this.
This mixture will be effective for 6 hours, so there is no need to make a big batch. You can also just throw the mixture into your washing machine with your whites and let them sit for awhile. Or, in a bucket overnight for whiter whites.