Do you ever wonder if you really know what you are doing when you are plucking your eyebrows? I used to have one of my best friends shape and pluck mine because she was OCD about it. Which is a good thing, but that was when we were roommates, and unfortunately, I don't have her at my disposal anymore.
Most of the time I feel like I don't know what I am doing. Or, the wax girl doesn't know what she is doing. I have been burned before, literally, and it was a fiasco. This summer, thin is out, and thicker brows are in. That is great, but I don't want bushy brows, and I think that is a fine line that can easily be crossed. This tutorial is a good one to check out if you need some brow assistance.
Here are some rules of thumb to always remember:
- Brunettes should go one or two shades lighter than the color of hair on their head.
- Blondes should go two shades darker than the color of hair on their head.
The five basic brow shapes are:
- Round: With a gentle, rounded arch, this shape softens angular faces with sharp features such as pointed chins.
- Sharp Angled: With a high, sharp peak, this brow opens up the eye giving a youthful appearance. It is a strong brow that can help balance strong features such as a square jaw and give a slimming appearance to a round face.
- Soft Angled: Still fairly high, more rounded peak give a softer, more delicate look.
- Curved: This brow has a slight curve between the inner corner and the arched peak giving a strong appearance which works well to balance a square face.
- Flat: This minimally arched, horizontal brow works well with long faces making them appear more oval.
- Round Face
Best brow shape: High arch, angled with a short end to give a slimmer appearance.
Worst brow shape: Round eyebrows will only make the face appear rounder.
- Long Face
Best brow shape: A more horizontal, flat brow makes the face appear more oval.
Worst brow shape: High arch, angled brow with a short tail only exaggerates the length of the face.
- Square Face
Best brow shape: Angled or curved, with a sharp peak to draw attention away from the square jaw.
Worst brow shape: A square jaw needs to be balanced. A round, delicate brow will not provide balance.
- Heart-Shaped Face
Best brow shape: Rounded, to soften the pointed chin.
Worst brow shape: Flat, horizontal brow.
- Oval Face
Best brow shape: This face shape can accommodate a variety of brow shapes. Soft, angled brows are particularly flattering.
Worst brow shape: A brow that is too highly arched.
- Diamond-Shaped Face
Best brow shape: An angled, round or curved brow with a peak to narrow the appearance of wide cheekbones.
Worst brow shape: Flat, horizontal brow makes the face look short and wide.