This week's Sunday brunch recipe is featuring Pumpkin Pancakes with Warm Spiced Apples Slices. Thanks to CookinFood.com for creating this amazing fall recipe that is making me sad in my heart that it is not in front of me right now. For a printable copy of this amazing recipe, be sure to check out Vanessa's blog.
Pumpkin Pancakes with Warm Spiced Apple Topping
- 1½ Cup Buttermilk Pancake Mix
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
- ½ tsp. Clove
- ½ tsp. All Spice
- 1 Egg 1 Cup Milk
- 1 Cup Pumpkin Puree
- 3 Tbs Melted Butter
- 4 Medium Apples Peeled, Cored, Small Chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 Small Lemon Juiced (about ¼ Cup)
- 1 Tbs Butter, Melted
- 1 Tbs Flour
- ½ tsp. Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. Cloves
- ½ Cup Brown Sugar
- ½ Cup Water
2. Melt 1 Tbs. butter in the microwave, whisk 1 Tbs. flour into the butter and throw in a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Toss in your apples.
3. Coat apples in Cinnamon, Cloves, All Spice, and Brown Sugar, and toss thoroughly allowing the butter and flour to melt and combine with the spices and sugar evenly over the apples. Add the ½ cup of water, stir, and cover. Allow to slowly simmer and cook while you prepare and bake your pancakes, stir occasionally. (cook about 20 minutes)
4. For your pancakes add all of the pancake ingredients minus the melted butter and stir until just incorporated. Then add your melted butter, stir, and let the batter sit for a couple minutes while you heat your griddle to about 350 or pan to medium heat.
5. Use a small dab of butter to coat your cooking surface. Then give your pancake batter a quick stir and ladle about ¼ cup of batter into a circle on your cook top. Allow to cook until the edges begin to be lightly brown (note* you may not see your typical bubbles because this is a thicker batter). Flip pancake and allow to cook for a couple more minutes. I cooked each 4″ pancake for approx 5 minutes because it is a thicker batter and you don’t want it to be doughy in the middle. Try testing 1 pancake first to get the appropriate cook time. Once your pancakes are done top with apples and enjoy!