With summer coming to a close, it’s time to start thinking about transitions – not just in the foliage and fashion, but also in your beauty routine. Just as you may be looking forward to reaching into to the back of your wardrobe for your favorite cashmere sweater, now’s the time to recall the richer tones of autumnal beauty. Here is everything you’ll need to consider as we move toward the crisp days of fall.
1. Skincare: Prepare your skin for cold weather by sloughing off any dead skin that may have accumulated from all the sun and sea you’ve absorbed over the summer by using an exfoliant twice a week. Makeup expert Bobbi Brown suggests ditching your lighter tinted moisturizer, opting instead for a slightly heavier moisturizer layered with foundation. “Fall's a good time to toss out your old foundation (which can get contaminated by bacteria) and invest in a new one,” explains Brown.
2. Eyes: This season, two eye makeup looks are hot: orangey tones and cat eyes. While it may be difficult for many people to pull off an orange-toned eye shadow, almost anyone can successfully pull off a cat eye, since there are so many different ways to do it. Liquid, pencil, smoky, or subtle, you can easily take your cat-eye look from day to night.
3. Lips: As we make the transition from humid to dry weather, the most important thing to keeping your pucker pretty is hydration. Drink plenty of water and consider a hydrating lipstick. This fall, it’s all about the spectrum of reds, from nearly-pink to deep plum. For a perfect combination of hydration and color, try Chanel Rouge Coco Shine Hydrating Sheer Lip Shine in Esprit, which was voted one of the top five lipsticks for this fall by Harper’s Bazaar.
4. Cheeks: To let those bright lips shine, tone down the blush and opt instead for a natural bronzer on your cheeks, forehead, and nose. Be careful in choosing the right bronzer; you want to look natural, not striped! When in doubt, compare the bronzer with your foundation or powder. It should only be slightly darker to give you a bit of definition and to extend your summertime glow.
5. Hair: Classic styles are in for fall, and luckily they’re easy to pull off. Low ponytails, stick straight locks, and natural waves are all hot this season. Dry shampoo is an easy way to look put together in just a few minutes with any of these styles. Our favorite dry shampoo by far: Sachajuan Volume Powder. You’ll love it so much that you may not want to leave home without it.
Joy Uyeno writes daily at her blog, Frock Files, about simple ways to live a happy and beautiful life. Before succumbing to her true nature as a freelance writer and designer. She now lives and works in the woods on the North Shore of Massachusetts, and occasionally from her childhood home in Honolulu, Hawaii.