Have you ever seen a haircut on someone else that looked absolutely stunning and asked your hairstylist to give you the same cut, only to find out that it doesn’t look quite as remarkable on you?
How could it be that the same hairstyle looks so amazing on someone else, but completely different on you? Believe it or not, it’s because of the shape of your face. Certain styles are better suited for certain face shapes; in other words, not all styles are universal. The same is true for accessories. While a pair of long, dangling earrings may look fantastic on someone else, they may look completely awkward on you.
When choosing an accessory, instead of immediately going for the latest trend, you really should consider if the shape of your face – and whether or not the accessory suits you. Keeping the shape of your face in mind when you are shopping for accessories can make a significant impact on your style. So what type of accessories best suit your face? Let’s take a look…
What’s Your Face Shape?
First things first: What shape is your face?
Round. If you have a soft, circular shape to your face and the width and length are nearly equal, it’s considered round.
Oval. If your face has balanced features and your chin is a bit narrower than your forehead, it is considered oval.
Square. A face with well-defined angles in the jaw line, cheeks and forehead is considered a square.
Heart. A broad forehead and a narrow chin and jaw line is considered a heart-shaped face.
Now that you know what shape your face is, what accessories will look the best on you? Here are some tips to keep in mind when you’re shopping.
Accessorizing a Round Face
If your face is round, choose accessories that make it appear longer and give it some definition. Accessories that look great on a round face include:
· Long, dangling earrings, as they create the illusion of a longer face
· Sunglasses or prescription glasses with rectangular frames will give your eyes more definition
· Avoid large hoops and round frames, as they will compete with the circular shape of your face
Accessories for an Oval Face
If your face is oval, you have soft and balanced features. Create some definition by opting for accessories that have an angular shape. Options to consider include:
· Earrings that have a clearly defined shape, such as hoops, squares or triangles
· Shorter pieces that will balance the shape of your face; long earrings and necklaces will add even more length to your face
· Frames that have a clear, geometric shape, but are slightly rounded around the edges
Accessorizing a Square Face
A square face is highly defined. You’ll want to go for accessories that add softness to the strong structure. Things to consider include:
· Earrings and necklaces that are both long and wide
· Glasses with rounded or curved frames
· Accessories that are made out of delicate materials that soften the face, such as pearls or feathers
Accessories for a Heart Face
A heart-shaped face is wide, yet comes to a clear point. Opt for accessories that add some length. Options include:
· Long, dangling earrings that features striking elements, like diamonds and other gems
· Glasses that have wide frames, or have a shape that curves upwards, such as a cat’s eye
· Chunky accessories, including scarves and big chains
By keeping these tips in mind, you will be able to choose accessories that accentuate the shape of your face and your natural beauty.
Gwen Lewis is a writer and makeup artist based in Southern California. Because of her passion for beauty and health, she hopes to help others not just look great but feel great, whether through makeup or her writing. In her free time, she enjoy shopping and pick-up soccer games with her friends.