When it comes to day-to-day living, many of us always put off turning our house into our dream home. Not only does it often feel unachievable, but it a lot of work. But it doesn’t have to be. There are many simple ideas that can completely transform your space. Whether your dream is to renovate every room, add an extension, or add little touches, here are ten ways that can transform your house into your dream home.
Light It Up
Add light to your home will make it feel fresher and more prominent and ultimately homier. You can maximize your rooms by adding larger windows with companies such as Richmond Window Corporation. Instead of allowing your home to become dark when the early evenings roll around, you can make the most of the light with larger windows. They will let more light in for maximum daylight and airiness.
You could also add more lighting features around the home to light up your rooms when it is dark in the evenings or when it is a dull day. Wall and ceiling lights are great options to optimize space, which makes the home feel bigger. Instead of adding floor lamps, which take up space, add lights to areas that do not take up space.
A lighter and brighter home will make the rooms feel larger, helping a small living space feel more comfortable and spacious.
It seems that interior design and home features are taking inspiration from the outside nowadays. With sustainability being a huge factor many consider when renovating their homes, more eco-conscious features are being added. These features add value and sustainability to any home; here are a few ideas.
- Energy-saving/energy-efficient features: Installing energy-efficient features can be costly but reduce the bills in the long run. Features such as solar panels and insulation can generate energy and regulate it, which will have a positive impact on your monthly energy bills.
- Adding more greenery: You can spruce up your rooms and brighten your home with more greenery. Adding plants to each room will improve your air circulation as well as liven up the areas that have been neglected. Good rooms to add plants in to attain both benefits are the kitchen and bathroom.
- Compost: If you have let your food go that little bit too far past its ‘best by’ then you need to be sure to compost it rather than putting it in the bin. Not only will this help create a natural fertilizer and keep your garden green, but it will also reduce the amount of waste going to landfill – and as it won’t break down anaerobically, there will not be a build-up of methane gas.
- Use LED lighting: Not only do LED light bulbs last longer than conventional bulbs, but they’re also far more efficient too. This means that you’ll be using less power and having to replace your light bulbs less frequently – everyone’s a winner. What’s more, they’re available in a range of brightness and designs so you can really tailor the lighting to your needs or to suit the room.
- Use more recyclable products: Many products have a lot of harmful chemicals in them that aren’t environmentally friendly to create or dispose of. Green products use more natural and organic materials, which are far less harmful.
If your dream home is a greener home, use these tips to get a step ahead in the right direction.
Fix Your Fixtures
Swapping out the little things may seem small or pointless. In fact, they can make a huge difference. Next to kitchen renovations or big budget additions, it will seem silly at the time, but you will notice the impact they have on the overall finish of the home.
Those changes will never add up if you never get started. Start bringing in the finishes and styles you love. For example, you may want to swap outlet covers, doorknobs, hinges, faucets, and other hardware.
These little touches can make a basic room or piece of furniture appear more luxurious.
Revamp Your Entrance Way
The entranceway is the first thing you and your guests see when you approach and enter the home. A poorly designed entranceway will be on your mind every time you get home, so revamp it and make it make you happy.
Here are a few ideas for revamping your entrance-way:
- Change up the look of your home’s facade by switching out your front door.
- Replace basic numbers with metal hardware for eye-catching front entry appeal.
- Guide guests from the street or driveway to the front door with a marked and well-maintained path.
- A splash of paint that contrasts with your home’s siding and trim is an easy way to revamp a front entry.
- Cut back overgrown plantings that block views of the front door or spill over onto walkways.
- Add appropriate architectural details such as decorative brackets, moldings, columns, and trim.
- Connect the entry with the rest of your home’s exterior by repeating elements to create a cohesive look.
If your home lacks fun and quirky design, you can spruce up your space with art. Art adds a personal touch to your home as your can display your favorite colors, patterns, images, and artists.
For those who often feel uninspired at home, art can help spark emotion and make you feel happier and more motivated. Art helps us validate and recognize our emotions. Whether it’s a memory or a feeling, a piece of art can evoke powerful emotions when we look at it. Art can cheer us up after a bad day, make us remember, or inspire us to do more in life.
Fill It With Your Favorite Colors
Your home is a place that should surround you with happiness and energy. So filling rooms with your favorite colors is useful.
Whether you like neutral or bright vibrant colors, utilize these in your home wherever you can. Even if you add rugs or small objects that boast your favorite color, it will make a huge impact on how you feel about your home.
Make It Open-Plan
To make your home feel bigger and to utilize the space better, you can knock down walls to create an open-plan design.
Knocking down the living room wall and connecting it to the kitchen is a popular option. It can make space feel more convenient, social, and approachable.
Open-plans do not add any physical space within your property. But, it does result in a sense of increased spaciousness as it creates more light and fewer barriers within the home. An open-plan layout is also universal, so you can take down or add walls to whatever rooms you want.
Refresh The Garden
The outside space of your home should also be well-cared-for. It is also a place you spend time in and is often a good place to escape from everyday stresses.
A garden is a place you will always look out onto, so you will want it to look nice for you to feel happier about your home.
Trimming the lawn, adding flowers, and social features such as seating, or working with a custom deck builder to add decking to your garden can instantly refresh your garden. It will also make it a more usable and inviting space.
Maximized space in a home is often a homeowners end goal. Whether your home is big or small, you will always want to make more use of the space and dimensions.
If you have a lot of stuff and are constantly trying to find places to hide your clothes or kitchen plates, add more storage. Hidden storage is a great idea to hide the appearance of storage boxes and cupboards.
Ottoman furniture is a good option. You can get ottoman beds, seats, and tables, which means you can store items in their underneath space and out of the way.
Stain The Floors
New flooring can be a costly job, especially if you want to refresh the entire home’s flooring. If you have wooden or concrete flooring, you can stain them to make them appear new and more expensive.
Staining floors is an easy and inexpensive job, which can make the floor look new and also elongate its life. Instead of paying loads for new wood floors or tiles, try staining them to fit with your new and dreamy interior.
Ever thought of adding an elevator in your home? Add convienece and luxury that also adds value to your home.
The next time you are questioning whether home renovations are worth it or within your budget, there is always an answer. Home renovations to help you achieve your dream home do not have to be difficult or expensive. Small touches can make a huge difference and help you achieve what you have always dreamed of in terms of interior. Even knocking down a wall is much more straightforward than it seems, and can make the home feel more spacious and homely.