I saw this on Yahoo! today and I thought it was so important, I wanted to post about it. There have been some studies on lipstick that has shown levels of lead! LEAD! What year is this? I can’t believe that with all the knowledge of how lead can affect your health, that companies are still using it in their products. The worst part is that it is in lipstick, which is on your mouth and we lick, eat and rub it off all of the time and most of it goes in your mouth.
The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics is particularly concerned about lead exposure for children and pregnant women. The CDC’s Advisory Committee for Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention recently stated that there is no safe lead level for children. Lead poisoning causes a wide range of problems from low IQ and slowed grown in children to memory loss, mood disorders, and miscarriage in adults.
The FDA found the highest levels in lipsticks made by Procter & Gamble (Cover Girl brand), L’Oreal (L’Oreal, Body Shop and Maybelline brands), and Revlon. The lipsticks containing the most lead (measured in parts per million) are:
1. Maybelline Color Sensational, Pink Petal (7.9 ppm)
2. L’Oreal Colour Riche, Volcanic, (7.0 ppm)
3. NARS Semi-Matte, Red Lizard (4.93 ppm)
4. Cover Girl Queen Collection, Ruby Remix, (4.92 ppm)
5. Nars Semi-Matte, Funny Face (4.89 ppm)
6. L’Oreal Colour Riche, Tickled Pink (4.45 ppm)
7. L’Oreal Intensely Moisturizing Lipcolor, Heroic (4.41 ppm)
8. Cover Girl Continuous Color, Warm Brick (4.28 ppm)
9. Maybelline Color Sensational, Mauve Me (4.23 ppm)
10. Stargazer Lipstick, #103 (4.12 ppm)
If you want to check out if your lipstick is safe you can check out a list of lipsticks from Environmental Working Group rates over 1000 cosmetic lip products on its searchable database.
If you want to see if all your other makeup is safe, you can check out another post I wrote about beauty products being safe here.
If you want to see a list of 11 lipsticks that are completely lead free you can check that out here. I was surprised to see that Wet n Wild on this list. I wore the heck out of that lipstick in high school, not to mention the lip liner no.666 that everyone I knew wore. Now my question is, if they can make a lipstick and sell for pennies without lead, then what is it with all of these other companies still using lead in their ingredients? It is outrageous!