The C word is not something that is on our minds for the most part, but unfortunately, it seems that the chances of getting it are higher than ever. It is good to remind yourself of some ways to keep yourself cancer free by just making a few changes in your life and your family’s life.
1. Quit smoking. Firsthand or secondhand is not good. If you need to quit smoking, or know someone who needs help, Dr. Oz has a program you can check out here.
2. Eat fish, fruit, vegetables, and 100 percent whole grains. These low-cal, high-nutrient foods reduce all kinds of cancer risk (heart disease, too).
3. Cut bad fats and red meat. The saturated fat (and calorie overkill) in red meat and full-fat dairy puts you at higher risk for both colon and prostate cancer (and all kinds of other trouble). You don’t have to cut red meat completely, but cutting down on how often, and choosing leaner cuts can also help.
4. Watch your waist. Staying slim cuts down on breast, prostate, lung, colon, and kidney cancers. In general, men need to keep it under 40 inches, women under 35 inches.
5. Exercise. Just a brisk 30-minute walk daily fights both colon cancer and breast cancer.
6. Go easy on alcohol. This one is a hard one because there are so many studies that contradict this notion ans tells you to have a glass of red. but more than one daily drink for women and two for guys increases risk of breast, colon, lung, kidney, and liver cancers.
7. Sunscreen! I can’t stress this enough and I have written a lot of my own posts about it. Hats, cover-ups, shade, and SPF 30 sunscreen can protect you from skin cancer. Literally. Know the danger signs? Do a skin cancer self-examination.
8. See your doc. Get screened for skin, colon, prostate, cervix, and breast cancers.
9. Reduce sugar. The empty calories in sugar, brown sugar, honey, agave and high-fructose corn syrup contribute to an expanding waistline. Try to use a little less than usual. You may be surprised how quickly your taste buds get used to the difference.
10. Mediterranean-style. Olive oil, olives, avocados and nuts contain healthy fat that deters breast cancer.