There are some days when I wake up and I am just depressed at the thought of aging and those days just keeping coming with a vengeance. I try to tell myself it is not all bad and went over some things that only get better with age. Did it make me feel better? Only time will tell. ;)
1. Wisdom: Can only come from experiences that you don’t get when you are younger. I use those experiences and knowledge to my advantage now.
2. Emotional stability: Research shows that people get less neurotic as they get older, which is really interesting to me because I feel that I am more anxious since I have been in my 30’s. I guess I can look forward to the downturn.
3. Body image: I think this is an important one for all women. I definitely feel a lot better about myself and body issues than I used to. Is it acceptance? Or, that I don’t care as much what people think? Maybe I will feel even better in 10 years? That is what I hear.
4. Problem-solving skills: Research shows that your brain remembers solutions from previous problems and uses that knowledge to use on other problems. My question about that is, why did I date the same type of bad guy for 15 years?
5. Patience: I can definitely see a difference from when I was younger, I don’t think I get as frustrated as easily, (if I don’t count driving.)
6. Self-esteem: Affirmation, affirmation affirmation.
7. Humor: If you can’t laugh at yourself, then that is not funny.
8. Sex: Statistics show after 30 your sex drive gets better, or was it that you get more horny? I guess it depends on your partner and hopefully they are at their peak too. But this is the time to take advantage ladies.
9. Family: This is when you either have made your own family or figured out where you stand with your extended family.
10. Friendships: By the time you get older you realize the friends that are the most important to you will stay with you through the thick of things.
11. Liquors with longevity: Full-bodied red wines like Cabernet Sauvignon and Shiraz, scotch, vintage ports, whiskey, and higher-alcohol, full-bodied beers all taste better when aged.
12. Pallet: I didn’t like certain things when I was a kid that I can’t get enough now like, onions, certain veggies and I started to appreciate food that can be prepared delicious and different ways.
13. Mark Wahlberg: Mmmm, need I say more?
Audrey's mom says
Patience, wisdom, love, and empathy. I love how much more I have now than in my 20s.
I soo agree with this post. I can see a huge difference in myself now from 10-15 years ago. I’m more comfortable with myself, mentally and physically.
Nicole @theWardrobeCode says
I’m 33 next month and I love my 30s so much better than my 20s. The twenties were fun, but the thirties are so much more satisfying :)
Awesome list… I agree. I am much more comfortable with myself, even if I do not have that skinny body that I dreamed of.
I am also much more confident/independent. I used to be a bit clingy in my 20s… Now I am comfortable with company or alone. It’s nice to enjoy some solitude.
Oh… and Mark Wahlberg… yes!