I’m removing my FAQ from my about page. I learned at a blogging conference that it is not necessary and to just make a blog post out of it. So I am. I also decided to add 20 things you don’t know about me to this post too. Now you know me a little better. If you have a 20 things we don’t know about you, leave your post link in the comment. I would love to read them!
20 Things You Don’t Know About Me
1. I don’t have children. That is maybe why I don’t have a lot of mom posts yet, but we are going towards that goal this year. I am sure you will get sick of reading about them.
2. I love Dave Matthews Band – I hated them in high school. I thought they were so overplayed on the radio. In college I was dating this guy and he introduced me to an acoustic cd and I fell in Love. I have traveled all over the US to see them more than any other band. It is now a 15-year love affair.
3. High school – I almost didn’t graduate high school because of attendance. My attendance gpa was 2.55 and you needed a 2.50 to pass. Senior year was spent mostly outside of class.
5. When I was 16 I had two jobs – I wanted a car so bad so I worked at a concession stand making pretzels and I was a hostess for a pie restaurant.
6. I don’t like pie – Hence, all the pie eating at the restaurant I worked at. I still can’t eat pie.
7. Master clogger – I took clogging classes through jr. high up until I was a sophomore in high school.
8. Snacks – I would rather eat savory, salty snacks over sweets anytime. Don’t get me wrong, I will never turn down dessert, but I prefer salt.
9. Truffle – I hate truffles. Not the chocolate kind, the mushroom kind. My husband is the pickiest eater and loves it and doesn’t get it. Anytime we go to a nice restaurant there is always truffle-something and it makes me want to gag.
The day after my wedding rehearsal dinner. I was a little hungover. The B fell off of my Bride shirt. I wasn’t very happy. That’s my best friend Meghan on the right.
10. Sleep – I love sleep. If you are my friend, you know this about me. I would choose sleep over anything, including food.
11. Ethnicity – I am English, Irish, Dutch, Austrian and Lithuanian.
12. Coke or Pepsi? Beer. I love beer and would prefer that, but between those two, it is Coke all the way with extra ice and a straw.
13. Food – My favorite food is Mexican. I could eat any kind every day of the week.
14. Kitties – I love cats and I own two. I had a cat for almost 18 years that I got when I was 14-years-old. I picked her out myself at the rescue and named her Chloe. It was just her and I when I lived alone for 5 years.
15. TV – I love Family Guy. The more offensive, the better. I watch it everyday.
16. TV – I have been watching the Golden Girls episodes non-stop for about three weeks. I admitted this to my best friend Meghan and she text me back that she was watching it too right then! So now we text each other how much those ladies lives are similar to a 30-somethings.
17. Drivers license – I failed my written and driving test in high school. I failed my driving test because I hit a parked car side-view mirror. My instructor told me to keep driving and I failed.
18. Jobs – I worked in collections for 10 years. I collected on credit cards and mortgages. I do not miss it for one second.
19. Name – My mom seriously considered renaming me Maryn when I was 2 years old.
20. Piercing – I pierced my belly button with my best friend Meghan when I was 21. It got crazy infected and I had to take it out after three weeks. I still have a gross scar.
Bonus* Snorter – I snort when I laugh. I always have. I can’t help it. Believe me I have tried.
How old are you? I’m 34. I was born in 1979. I’m a Capricorn. So far, my 30s are my favorite age of all. Obviously!
How old were you when you started this blog? 31
When did you start this blog? I started this blog in January 2011.
Where are you from? I was born and raised in Salt Lake City, Utah and in 2006, I moved to Phoenix to experience another city.
Are you married? Yep, to an amazing man I met four months after I moved to Phoenix.
What is your #1 beauty tip for a woman in her 30s? Sunscreen! Always and every day! Wear it on your face, neck, the back of your hands and even your décolleté. I would recommend nothing less than 40 SPF. Don’t forget to re-apply if you are outdoors after two hours.
What advice would you give someone just starting out in the blogging world? Find your voice and write that way. Write like you’re chatting with your girlfriends and keep writing. Life can get in the way, so if you’re serious you need to make sure you just keep writing on a regular basis.
What is the best way to get traffic? Network, network, network. I mean everywhere; social media (Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram) linky parties, commenting on other blogs and even attending events that are going on in your city. You might be amazed who you might meet and that can turn into something that will work for both of you. I would also recommend joining a forum and guest posting on bigger blogs.
What is your favorite post? I don’t have a favorite post, but I do have a series that is my favorite. It is called the Love for 30 Project. It allows women to guest post and write about their 30s. Women from all over the world have contributed and it is so refreshing and inspiring to read about other women’s stories about what they have learned, are learning and experiences in their 30s. I am always looking for contributors, so if you would like to join the project, email me!