There are few things we love more than a beauty product that serves multiple purposes. Why spend hundreds of dollars and create clutter in your bathroom if you don’t have to? And why use chemicals when you can turn to something natural? Something that you may already have in your pantry! We’re turning to organic coconut oil for a slew of beauty fixes these days. Here are five ways to put the tropical fruit to use:
1. Moisturizer: Coconut oil can be used as a moisturizer for your face and body. Swap out your night cream and body butter for coconut oil and your skin will thank you by glowing! According to the Huffington Post, store-bought moisturizers contain a lot of water, which initially dampens the skin, making you think that you’re getting a real moisturizing experience, even if you aren’t. By contrast, coconut oil provides rich, lasting nourishment to the skin.
2. Conditioner: For centuries, people have used natural oil as conditioner, and just because we have lots of bottled options on the shelf today doesn’t mean they’re better for us. In fact, coconut oil trumps traditional conditioners in a lot of ways. It keeps hair strong and prevents dandruff by delivering a good dose of nutrition and anti-oxidants that provide a double whammy of smoothing and anti-fungal power. You can also use a dab as an anti-frizz agent – especially during the damp spring months!
3. Make-up Remover: Coconut oil is a gentle way to take off your makeup easily – especially that tricky extra-strength mascara. Just rub a bit of coconut oil onto a cotton pad and wipe over your skin to take your makeup off completely. Follow with your face wash and rinse.
4. Massage Oil: Since coconut oil doesn’t absorb immediately into the skin, it allows for plenty of lubricant during massages. It does absorb eventually, so you won’t walk away from a massage feeling like an oil slick.
5. Oil Pulling: In recent years, oil pulling has become a hot topic. Many people claim that this gentle cleansing technique can heal dental/gum problems while keeping teeth clean and even providing whitening results. It’s a lengthy process, but no longer than using those whitening strips (which are full of chemicals like – yuck – the stuff used to absorb moisture in diapers!). Simply take a tablespoon of coconut oil and allow it to melt in your mouth. Swish it around for 15 to 20 minutes. Spit it out in the garbage can.
Bonus: Your breath will be fresher due to the antimicrobial properties of coconut oil!
Joy Uyeno writes daily at her blog, Frock Files, about simple ways to live a happy and beautiful life. Before succumbing to her true nature as a freelance writer and designer in her late twenties, Joy held fourteen jobs in eighteen years, which she wrote about in a Love for Thirty Project piece. She now lives and works in the woods on the North Shore of Massachusetts, and occasionally from her childhood home in Honolulu, Hawaii.
Blog: www.Frock Files.com
Leave a Reply