Well, I am one of those people who didn’t think it would happen to me. I have been eating so healthy and working out lately and even taking all my vitamins. I have never had the flu shot, and I have never had the flu…….until now. I have had bronchitis, strep and pneumonia time after time. I thought those were my weaknesses, and that my body had the anti-bodies to kill off the flu. So I didn’t get the flu shot.
But sure enough, I woke up one morning with a cough that I knew was all too familiar. I had traveled to SLC to see my family for Christmas, and was there just about a week. I had to fly home not feeling well, and the next morning I made an appointment with my pulmonologist (yes, I have him on speed dial because I have had so many lung issues.) Luckily they had an appointment for me, and I couldn’t breathe worth a damn, not to mention that my muscles and joints ached. I have never felt that before. I thought it was pneumonia, because I was exhausted with a side of nausea.
They decided to give me a test for the flu with a nice nasal scrape. Sure enough, it came back positive for the flu! What?!?!? I really was shocked. I told the nurse that I have never had the flu my entire life, and she said, “well you have it now, and your husband will probably get it too.”
Well, of course, my husband never got it. Neither did any of the friends and family I had to call to warn that they had been exposed. Not sure how I got this, but it really has been a rough week. Hence, not a lot of posts or word from me. I have been bed ridden, and in hell. So, my point is, I guess this will be the last year I don’t get the flu shot. But there are also some ways to help get over the flu that are always a plus. It has been a week, and I still don’t feel that great. I’m just glad that the nights sweats are not so drenching. Still have the cough from hell, headache and runny nose, but I am on the mend.
Here are some tips on how to prevent and get rid of the flu sooner than later.
- If you feel you have been exposed to the flu, drink 4 tablespoons of elderberry extract for 3 days. A study showed people using the extract recovered much faster than those that didn’t.
- Sleep. Your body needs all of it’s energy to fight.
- Drink lots of fluids. The flu can cause a fever and a fever is dehydrating. It also helps move the virus out of your system.
- Zinc is shown to shorten the flu symptoms up to 10 days. I like Zicam nasal spray.
- Take a hot shower. It will help rid the elements that weigh you down and create steam to clear your chest.
- If you have a viral infection like a cold, antibiotics won’t work. You will become immune if you get a prescription every time you get a sniffle, and then they won’t work when you need them for a bacterial infection.
- Use rubbing alcohol that is at least 50% alcohol to clean your house, tables, doorknobs, etc to get rid of the flu virus.
- Get your flu shot. It is recommended for age 6 months and older. The seasonal flu and H1N1 flu is in one shot this year. Walgreens will give you a shot anytime they are open even without an appointment.