This post brought to you by Fellowes . All opinions are 100% mine.
It was not a fun time and I would prefer not to go through it again, especially twice in one flu season. I was told, however, that this was possible from my doc and pharmacist. I can definitely still get the flu again, but a different strain.
As you can imagine I am going to do everything I can to stay healthy. The CDC just sent out a report this week and CNN reports that people between the ages of 18 and 64 make up 61% of all influenza-related hospitalizations this season. In previous years, that same age group made up just 35% of cases. What’s more, more than half of the flu-related deaths this season are those between the ages of 25 and 65 — up from last year’s 25%.
Those numbers are not very encouraging. These are the four steps that are the most important when trying to avoid the flu:
1. Ask about a flu shot. Even though I had the flu this year, I was told I should still get the flu shot because I only had one strain of the flu, and there are so many strains that the flu shot can cover.
2. Wash and sanitize hands regularly.
3. Wipe down surfaces with powerful disinfectants.
4. Purify the air indoors.
This week I have been trying out and reviewing the fourth step by purifying the indoors with the Fellowes indoor purifier. Honestly, I have no idea why I never had an air purifier in my home before now. Now that I have one, I know that I will not be able to live without it.
I live in Arizona, which means I live in a giant dust bowl. The dust storms are not like anything you have ever seen before and my house is swallowed right in them. I am allergic to everything. I am a walking allergy. I am allergic to all grasses and weeds. Not to mention that my biggest allergy is from pets, mostly cats. However, I live with two adorable kitties. My allergist was shocked that I owned cats with the type of allergy I have. I told him it hasn’t been a problem, and I have just learned to live with the sneezes and stuffy nose.
This time of year in Phoenix is when the allergens really act up. It has been really warm outside the last week and usually my allergies would be going nuts with sneezes, a runny nose and itchy eyes. I just usually plan on wearing my glasses in the spring because of all my allergy issues.
I have kept the purifier in my living room and keep it on all day during the day and turn it off at night. I have noticed that my air feels cleaner, (if that is even a thing.) I also love that it tells me when the air is not as clean with the LED color indicator. It is blue when the air is clean, turns auburn when not so clean, and glows red at its worst.
I have noticed that it has turned auburn or red when I have roasted some vegetables in the kitchen next to my living room and also when we cooked bacon. I love the purifier just for that reason. It cleaned out the bacon smell that can linger in the air for hours after it is made. I love it just for that reason alone.
- State of the art technology. My husband and I have shopped around for months for an air purifier and they are all expensive but without this type of technology. For the price of $189.99 at Best Buy, this really is a steal.
- Touch screen. Love that it has a touch screen panel. I think touchscreen is a must these days.
- Crazy quiet. It is fabulous how quiet it is. The fan has five speeds, and even if it is on high, it is not too loud, and on the lower speeds, I forget it is even on. I have brought it to our bedroom and I am a light sleeper, and I can’t hear it at all.
- Air quality automatic adjuster. If you keep it on auto, the purifier will adjust its speed and keep your air perfectly purified.
- Air filter change indicator. The touch screen panel will let you know when it is time to change your air filter so you always know you are getting the best air.