Previously I posted about What Causes Pimples – Acne Face Mapping. Now that we know why we get pimples on certain areas, how do we get rid of those bastards? We have a list of things that can help keep your face clear and glowing. All or some of these steps can get you the clear face you had always dreamed of having when you were in your 20s. Even your menstrual hormones can’t keep up with this advice.
1. Don’t pick! This is easier said than done. Like you are going to go to work or out in public with a big whitehead on your face right? However, if you can avoid it, you should. But I must admit, I always pick those kind. I can’t resist. I want to get rid of it. I know it is bad and that it will hinder the healing time and possibly cause a scar. So if you can avoid it, you should because it can cause cuts from your nails and create more zits in that area. If you must pick, make sure you wash your hands first.
3. Always wash your face at night. ALWAYS! I know this is important when you wear makeup, but I must admit that if I didn’t put makeup on that day (yes, it does happen) that I won’t wash my face. I need to stop this bad habit. There are no excuses on this one. Your face collects so many dirt and toxins throughout the day, and add makeup to the mix and that is a concoction for lots of breakouts. This really is the most important step. You will notice a difference if you are not in the habit already. If you are too tired after you get home, do it right when you take your work clothes off then you can relax for the night. If you do one thing to keep your skin clear, just take a few minutes to wash everything off at the end of the day.
6. Drink water! A hydrated face is a clear face. We all know that we have to drink a bunch of water for health, but it is just as important for your skin. Drinking water cleanses the toxins out of your body and helps to detoxify your skin and gives it the moisture that it needs.
7. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! There is a myth that if you have oily skin to stay away from a moisturizer because it is already greasy enough. But that is not the case. Your skin is overcompensating for being thirsty and hence creates an oily face. If you moisturize you will immediately notice a difference that your face is not as oily. It also keeps it from becoming irritated. This step will help with your problem of breakouts. If you are still nervous, just make sure you use an oil free moisturizer. I like Peter Thomas Roth Ultra Lite Oil-Free Sunblock SPF 30 because it’s super sheer, blends in really well, and also contains an SPF 30, which is so important!
8. Try using mineral makeup. My favorite is Colorescience for its superior ingredients compared with other mineral makeups. Or Bare Escentuals. Both foundations cover imperfections really well without being shiny and heavy. Mineral makeup does not penetrate your skin so it won’t clog pores and cause breakouts, and soothing minerals along with vitamin A soothe and eliminate skin irritation.
9. Use a topical acne fighter at night. Hands down, the best acne remedy is IS Clinical Active Serum. Active serum is a liquid that you put on with your fingertips at night, avoiding the eye area. Active serum contains Salicylic acid and Glycolic acid to fight acne, kill bacteria and exfoliate dead skin, and Kojic and Lactic acid for superior anti-aging benefits. Also, assisting in pigment reduction, this product does it all! Don’t use any other product on your skin after using Active Serum on clear skin. Active serum is best used alone to avoid irritation.
10. Use a sulfur mask. My favorite is DDF Sulfur Therapeutic Mask. Sulfur is well known to absorb oil, purify skin and pores and is a great anti-inflammatory. Sulfur is so healing it actually helps to instantaneously dry out blemishes and prevent more from coming.
12. Not just your face acne – Bacne and chest acne. If you are breaking out on your body, the culprit could be sweating and friction from your clothing. Also, if you workout, or your hair is greasy and it rubs up against your back that can also cause breakouts. If you work out make sure your clothes have moisture wicking and are fast drying. The same treatment for your face will work on your body. Try a body wash that has benzoyl peroxide like Neutrogena Clear Pore Cleanser/Mask and a toner with the salicylic to removed excess oil after your shower like Clean and Clear Radiance Body Mist.
I have begun a regular evening routine where I cut a lemon in half, drizzle some honey on it & rub it all over my face for a few min. then let it sit for 5 min. Wash off with warm water & then moisturize! Not only does it clean the skin & kill bacteria but it also lightens any “age” spots one may have. And it leaves my skin feeling so soft.
I stopped using soap and other expensive products, now I just use water with a splash of apple cider vinegar. My skin cleared up, black heads disappeared, pores shrank, and dry patches went away. I couldn’t be happier!
What do you use to remove makeup?
Coconut oil, or any other oil, is a great makeup remover- it even breaks down waterproof mascara. You can either splash your face with warm water, then rub in the oil, or put some oil on a cotton pad and wipe down your face. Rinse thoroughly. The oil moisturizes your face and also helps break down the ‘bad’ oils in your skin.
Wendy C. says
Thank you for sharing these helpful tips to prevent acne. Before I sleep, I always make sure to wash my face, remove makeup and drink a glass of water. Good read.
Jenny S. says
These tips are useful and are very good for the skin. These effective skin care tips are simple yet safe works pretty great. No need to buy expensive products because just by doing these practices already contribute a lot for a healthy skin care. Thank you for sharing.
Om Kadam says
Hi Erin, great post! To keep acne at bay, I follow a set daily routine of using a face wash in the morning and at night followed by moisturising. Another great tip is to always stay hydrated as it is the simplest way to detoxify your body, providing you with a clean and clear blemish free skin.
After reading the reviews, decided to buy acne serum of dermalmd. My son has a few teenage spots appearing and dermalmd blemish deals with them all really effectively, cannot believe negative comments. Great product for tackling new spots, cannot speak for persistant spots as they are zapped in their early stages!
Would definitely recommend it and when we run out will definitely be replacing it.