Remodeling your kitchen is an exciting prospect, but it comes with much responsibility, and requires a lot of consideration. If you own your home and want to increase its value, the kitchen is the room you should renovate: from the appliances, to the layout, to the materials used to build your new kitchen, a potential buyer will look for class and sophistication.
So if you’re considering remodelling your kitchen in 2021, why not start researching now? In this blog we will go through the key aspects of renovating your kitchen: practicality, design, color scheme and pricing. Let’s get cooking!
When renovating your kitchen, you always need to keep the practical side of things at the forefront of you thinking. It is easy to get caught up in colour, materials and general design ideas, while losing sight of what you really need in your perfect kitchen.
When it comes to the practicality of your new kitchen, you should consider the following.
- The size of your space. What can you achieve in the kitchen space your home has? Or is there the possibility of expanding your kitchen to make it bigger?
- Your family’s needs. If you have young children, for example, this could affect how you design your kitchen, making it a more open plan space to suit a bigger family. Similarly, if you have accessibility needs such as wheelchair access, you need to take this into consideration too.
- Budget. We’ll discuss pricing further down the article, but your budget is a crucial part of looking at your renovation practically.
Design and layout
Now you’ve thought about the practical side of things, it’s time to discuss the design and layout of your new kitchen. One of the reasons you are remodelling the kitchen might be in order to create a kitchen that looks, and feels, easy to use and beautiful too.
One popular design for a modern kitchen is to incorporate a kitchen island. Like a floating countertop in the centre of the room, this gives you plenty more space to prepare food and place dishes. Kitchen islands are especially helpful if you like to entertain, and cook large amounts of food for all your guests!
Ultimately, when considering the design of your kitchen, you need to prioritise. Few people can afford the exact kitchen of their dreams, but most can afford one or two key pieces in their new kitchen that really stand out. This could be a professional coffee machine for caffeine lovers, for example, or a professional grade oven for those who love to cook.
Next, it’s time to choose your color scheme. The countertops, floors, cabinets and walls will all need to be painted or treated to a color of your choosing – so the question you need to ask yourself is: what vibe am I searching for?
Some modern kitchen owners are choosing to be bold, with summer colors like orange, yellow and grass-green to make their kitchen come to life. Others go with traditional white and grey themes, using internet-inspired quartz countertop ideas and tiled floors to have a minimal kitchen look. How will you pick your color scheme? Will you dare to be different with your new kitchen model?
Now, here’s the hard part. Pricing. While it would be lovely to dream up a kitchen and materialise it into reality without writing a cheque, life unfortunately doesn’t work that way!
So how do you save up and budget for a kitchen renovation? Here are some of the best tips in the business for affording the kitchen you want.
- Plan far in advance. If you know you want to remodel your kitchen, even if it’s in a few years, start saving now. Even £100-£150.00 per month, squirrelled away for a rainy day, will build up over time.
- Get quotes from lots of different companies. Of course, you want a highly experienced renovator to help you create your new kitchen, so make sure to get quotes from all sorts of companies and compare prices.
- See what you can DIY! Although not everything in your kitchen renovation can be done yourself, there are some things, such as painting or shopping for appliances, that can be done yourself to reduce costs.
Thinking of remodelling your kitchen in 2021? Don’t panic! Use this blog as your definitive guide to transforming your kitchen space into a beautiful hub for family friends, pets, dinners, drinks and laughter! Are you ready to start?