I love lemons. I love to eat and drink them. I think they are one of the most healthy things for your body and your skin. I wrote a whole post about how you can use lemons for beautiful skin: 8 Ways To Use Lemon For Beautiful Skin.
Lemons are an amazing fruit for the inside of your body too. It is amazing what a little warm lemon water first thing in the morning can do for your body, your immune system, brain and soul for that matter.
Here are nine reasons why you should squeeze some lemon into a warm cup of water every morning and drink it. If you want to double the benefits, it wouldn’t hurt to do this every evening before bed too.
1. Weight Loss – This is my fave. Drinking the lemon water first thing in the morning helps your body with dehydration (you’ve been asleep 8 hours) and helps to fight hunger cravings.
If you maintain a more alkaline diet (avoid these 4 diet mistakes), it has been shown that you lose weight (read the latest groundbreaking research) faster (see next tip.)
2. Balances pH – If you drink lemon water everyday, you will reduce your body’s overall acidity because believe it or not, lemon is one of the most alkaline foods known to man. Even though lemon is obviously acidic, it does not create acidity in your body once it is metabolized.
3. Anti-aging – Us thirty-somethings should love this tip. Vitamin C in the lemon helps to decrease wrinkles and blemishes.
4. Clear Acne – Lemon water helps to purge toxins from your blood which in turn, helps to keep your skin clear. You can actually apply lemon directly to any scars or discoloration on your skin to reduce appearance. Just put lemon on your spot at night and wash off in the morning with cool water.
5. Flush Your Body – The juice from the lemon water helps to flush out the toxic material in your digestion which will help with constipation and digestion. It also encourages the liver to produce bile which is an acid that required for digestion. Efficient digestion reduces heartburn and constipation.
6. Diuretic – Get rid of that bloat. Perfect for that time of the month when your body holds on to that extra water weight. Lemons help to increase the rate of urination which keeps your urinary tract healthy
7. Bad Breath – This will help freshen your breath and who doesn’t want that?
8. Less Stress – When you have a lot of things on your mind, vitamin C is the first to be depleted and the lemon water will help to fill your body back with the vitamin C nutrient your body needs.
9. Boosts your immune system – Lemons are high in vitamin C, which is great for fighting colds. They’re high in potassium, which stimulates brain and nerve function. Potassium also helps control blood pressure.
To get the best benefits, squeeze 1/2 lemon into 8 – 12oz of warm water. If you are concerned with the acidity of the lemon on your teeth, try drinking it from a straw.