I love quinoa. I had never had it before until I went to a vineyard in Napa Valley and they served it for lunch. It was delicious and I have been devouring it whenever I can. I decided that I wanted to start making it at home to have for a nice lunch or even a snack.
Bonus, it is a superfood and gluten-free. I love the flavor, it is nutty and grainy and can be eaten hot or cold. I prefer it as a salad and I can throw whatever ingredients I want with it and it always tastes great.
Quinoa is so versatile you can make a salad into any cuisine you want. Make an asian salad out of it, or Mexican, or even greek. The possibilities of quinoa is endless.
Now that you know my love affair with this delicious seed, I want to share with you a simple salad that I make with a Hefty Slider bag. I love to make certain foods (especially that have dressing) in baggies because I can shake it up and disperse the dressing throughout the salad. Tip: these Hefty slider bags are also awesome to marinate meats or chicken in. Just add the meat or chicken in the bag and add your marinade and shake. Toss in the refrigerator and you will have a nicely coated marinated meal.
I also love Hefty® Slider Bags because they cost less than Ziploc® Slider Bags, when comparing the same type of bag (freezer/storage) and size (quart/gallon) of the closest price point. More money in my pocket for a great quality bag.
This recipe is so easy and I just throw my favorite veggies with the quinoa in a bag, add my dressing and shake. I eat a bit then, or even refrigerate for 30 minutes so the dressing can marinade the salad.
- 2 cups dried quinoa
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatos
- 1/2 cup chopped english cucumber
- 2 corn cobs with kernels cut off
- 1/2 cup black beans drained
- 1/4 cup red onion chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped feta (optional)
- 1/4 cup red-wine vinegar.
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard.
- 1 teaspoon sugar.
- Salt and black pepper, to taste.
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil.
- 1/2 squeezed lime (optional, but I love this)
- Cook quinoa in boiling water and cook according to the directions on the box. Let cool. While cooling chop vegetables. Once quinoa is cooled, add vegetables and add to Hefty slider bag. Pour dressing on top and shake until completely covered. Refrigerate for 30 minutes then serve. Will last in Hefty bag for up to 7 days.
For more fab recipes, or even life hacks or tips, check out their website!
Leave a Reply