1. EVOO – (extra virgin olive oil) A-monounsaturated fat that burns calories and fat. This oil also helps with cholesterol levels. A great belly slimmer. Try is with our Faux Low-Fat Mashed Potatoes with EVOO
2. Nonfat Greek Yogurt – Greek yogurt has more protein than regular yogurt which keeps you fuller longer. It also contains good bacteria (probiotics) that works to reduce the bad bacteria in the intestines that is responsible for belly bloating. Double your belly blast with our Blackberry Yogurt Smoothie.
3. Mushrooms – With the lack of vitamin D, it has been linked to higher levels of belly fat. Mushrooms are the only natural plant source of Vitamin D. Mushrooms are a fabulous way to cut carbs too. Check out the mushroom carb substitute.
4. Skim Milk – Milk is the perfect combination of protein and carbs to keep you feeling full, especially after a workout. It also helps to build muscle and lose fat. Check out our Strawberry Banana smoothie with skim milk.
5. Beans – Beans are a great food for belly slimming. They are high in fiber and low in calories. Beans are great because they fire off at, build muscle and regulate digestion. They also help you feel full faster and longer which helps with over-eating. Get your fill of beans with our Slow Cooker Santa Fe Soup.
6. Almonds – A super convenient snack, almonds (with the skin) help to reduce cravings and build muscle. The vitamin E also helps to cut cholesterol. Make a fresh summer salad with almonds with our Barley Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette.
7. Avocados – Just a medium avocado holds 15 grams of fiber and all that fiber is helping you keep your hunger pangs at bay. Just 1/4 cup of avocado has a full days worth of monounsaturated fatty acid which burns belly fat. Don’t let people confuse you about the health and fat of delicious avocados. Here are 12 unique recipes to use avocado that you may have never thought of.
8. Dark or semisweet chocolate – Cocoa powder have compounds that have the potential to protect against heart disease, stroke, cancer, and diabetes. Dark chocolate also has monounsaturated fat that can help with the belly bulge. Just make sure to keep it at no more than 1/4 cup a day. Have a healthy snack with Dark Chocolate Covered Kiwi Pops.
9. Nut Butters – With antioxidant vitamin E, bone-building magnesium, muscle-friendly potassium, and immunity-boosting vitamin B6, nut butters are the perfect choice. Also, full of monounsaturated fats, which help with the belly fat of course. Using nut butters can absolutely fit into your diet (avoid these 4 diet mistakes) or allotted calories for the day. Many are found here at 90 Snacks Under 100 Calories.
10. Walnuts – Full of Omega-3 fatty acids that help protect your heart and preserve your brain. The Omegas also help the body burn fat. Eat them in their natural state. Here our 9 Healthy Breakfast Options and Some Include Yummy Walnuts.
11. Spinach – Is so super low calorie and an amazing versatile food for your flat belly. It helps you to feel full and is a great source of calcium which helps your muscles contract. Check out Olympian Lolo Jones’ post workout healthy shake with spinach.
12. Vinegar – People who consume vinegar on a regular basis have a smaller waist and less belly fat. “Researchers feel this may be due to vinegar’s acetic acid, which may switch on genes that pump out proteins that break down fat.” Try our Watermelon Arugula Salad with Balsamic Vinegar.
13. Whole Grains – Slowing your insulin spike with whole grains. They release their energy slowly so it helps to burn fat. Because of that, it makes it easier to metabolize fat. Whole Wheat Penne Alla-Not-ka
14. Grapefruit – Researchers think that the acidity in grapefruit, may slow digestion and make you feel full longer. It has been shown that people who eat 1/2 grapefruit three times a day, people lost weight without doing anything else. Get your grapefruit in with a delicious Grapefruit Margarita.
15. Eggs – They contain b12 which helps to breakdown fat cells. It is also packed with protein which will keep you full all day. Hard boiled eggs are perfect for on the go, and are very filling. Secret to the perfect hard boiled egg and easy peel tip.
16. Apples – Packed with fiber to keep you full, and by chewing a lot, it makes you feel more satisfied. Here is a delicious Flat Apple Pie.
17. Tomatoes – High in fiber and also a natural diuretic. Also full of water to make you feel full and boost belly bloat minimizer. Try a Refreshing Tomato Watermelon Gazpacho.
18. Salmon – Salmon is a fantastic belly reducer. Full of omega-3 fatty acids, it encourages fat burning by revving up your metabolism. Try a delicious recipe for brunch or dinner – Potato Latkes & Smoked Salmon Eggs Benedict.
19. Berries – Full of fiber to keep you full. One cup of fiber has 8g of fiber! Slowly digested and cleans out your digestive tract. Try some Lemon Ricotta Pancakes with Berries.
20. Asparagus – Full of vitamins A and C that help to accelerate fat burning. Asparagus is also a natural diuretic. Try our Creamy Garlic Chicken with Asparagus.
21. Garlic – A natural thermogenic which means that it is a natural metabolizer and burns fat and uses it for energy. Make our Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Garlic.
22. Turkey – High in protein and low in calories. Contains leucine, which can help maintain muscle mass while you shed weight, keeping your metabolism charged. Your body also burns more calories digesting protein than it does to digest carbohydrates. Try our Pesto Pasta with Ground Turkey.
23. Soybeans – Soybeans help keep the accumulation of fats from coming together and change fats into energy. Soybeans are easy to digest they help flush pesky belly fat. Soybeans are a great alkaline food to add to your diet (avoid these 4 diet mistakes). Try our Soy Protein Breakfast Shake
24. Broccoli – The fiber flushes out the fat and is low calorie, flushes out the fat and is full of vitamins. Broccoli can also be a cure for feeling tired all the time. Check out some Easy Fixes to Feel Awake.
25. Kale – It is a natural anti-inflammatory food. It helps to reduce belly bloat and is also a natural metabolizer that gets revs it up! Try our Kale Salad with Pecorino.
Thanks for post on these great foods!!
My Thirty Spot says
You are so welcome! Thanks so much for commenting Crystal!
Dr. Reginia says
After my health scare, I will definitely incorporate more of these. I am reposting these tips via FB thanks Erin.
My Thirty Spot says
Thanks so much Dr. Reginia for sharing this on your FB. Sorry to hear about your health scare. I hope knowing what these foods do for your health will help.
The Grass Skirt Blog says
I love all of these foods! I always eat eggs when I need to wear a bikini. LOL.
The Grass Skirt
I love this sight! I am forty something, almost fifty:( I am thinking I need to eat differently than I did when I was in my thirties. I am heavier than I have ever been and would like to start taking time for me, including cooking time. Meals are usually worked around the rest of the family. So, I need recipes and tips that are quick and easy for ME:) OR… is there a “My Forty Spot”?
My Thirty Spot says
Thanks so much! There actually is a My Forty Spot, but it is in the works. I haven’t launched it yet. However, I have just launched My Cooking Spot and I have a section that is all about healthy recipes. Just click on “The Skinny”
My Cooking Spot
Thanks so much!