Having a hard time with those sugar cravings? Before I was pregnant, I cut out sugar completely, and boy, it takes me about 2 – 3 weeks before I start feeling normal again. Meaning, that I am not as cranky and I can get through the day without wanting to kill someone. It is hard to detox off of sugar. That is for sure.
However, you don’t have to cut out sugar completely to just want to cut back on sugar. But if you’re a real sugar craver like me, then you might need a few tips to help you beat those cravings. Especially around that mid-afternoon slump.
Here are tips on how to help you beat those sugar cravings.
- Up your magnesium intake. Sometimes you can feel the need to give in to those sugar needs just because you are low on magnesium.You can get magnesium in your diet (avoid these 4 diet mistakes) by adding dark leafy greens, raw cacao, nuts and seeds, brown rice, quinoa, and avocado.You may want to add a magnesium supplement to your diet (view this transformation), but discuss that with your doctor first.
- Add spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, and cardamom. Just adding spices like these to your meal can naturally sweeten your food, but will also help balance your blood sugar and help reduce sugar cravings.
- Add healthy fats. They help you feel satisfied longer by stabilizing your blood sugar. You can find those good fats in avocados, nuts and seeds, coconut, extra-virgin olive oil, and the natural fats found in animal products such as wild salmon and pastured eggs.
- Supplement with amino acid L-glutamine. This supplement helps to reduce, and even eliminate, sugar cravings. It also helps to heal the digestive tract and supports the immune system. If you’re on medication, discuss with your doctor first.
- Try Gymenema. This is a vine from India that seems to help with sugar cravings. You can find it at health-food stores and add 30 – 40 drops of gymnema tincture to a little water. Swish in your mouth then swallow. Repeat ever 2 – 3 hours as your cravings start to appear. This only works when it comes into contact with your tongue, so capsules won’t work.
- Staying hydrated. Dehydration has been linked to food cravings. You should be drinking about half your body weight in ounces of water daily. Add a slice of lemon to your water to improve the taste if needed. Not only that, but you can also benefit by drinking lemon water with 9 benefits of drinking morning lemon water.
Leave a Reply